Review: The Happy Tart Bakery in Falls Church, Virginia


I’ve walked into quite a few gluten free bakeries over the years, more gluten free bakeries than I probably ever imagined could exist. Yet for some reason, no matter how many times I step into the buttery aroma of yet another glutenless abode, said experiences are just as enthralling as the very first. I think it's something to do with the entirely unlimited choice, still a novelty for us medically gluten free. Fancy the triple-layer chocolate cake? Go for it! The apple fritter? All yours. Simply put, gluten free bakeries open up a world of unfettered, artery-clogging goodness.

I’d been wanting to visit The Happy Tart in Falls Church for quite some time, but I rarely find myself in that part of Virginia. So, when we were in the area last weekend to visit a dog shelter (hint hint exciting updates coming soon), I let my parents know it was absolutely necessary we stop there. Note, The Happy Tart also has a location in Alexandria.

Walking in, I was greeted by two display cases full of goodies. Cupcakes, cookies, strudels, baguettes, macaroons, cake pops, quiches- all gluten free, and all calling my name. Of course, for the sake of not only my belt but my dad’s wallet, we had to keep our order somewhat conservative. So, we went with three coffees.

Plus two strawberries and cream petit fours, a spinach and cheese tart, a mushroom and cheese tart, a chocolate coffee scone and a salted caramel petit four and bag of English muffins to go. Like I said, conservative.

The tarts were delicious, especially as we asked for them to be heated up. I would definitely suggest doing this if having them in-house, as they’re coming out of a refrigerated case. The tart crusts were flaky and buttery on the outside, and really soft on the inside. The mushroom was a bit subtler than the spinach, but I was well impressed with the cheesiness of both.

Inside of mushroom tart
Mushroom tart
Coffee chocolate scone
Inside of spinach tart

The coffee and chocolate scone had a nice, subtle flavor. The chocolate chips were chunky, as chocolate chips should be. The scone was a bit crumbly and dry for my preference; perhaps I am simply not a scone person. Were I to have this again, I’d definitely have it warmed up, or with a hot coffee. Overall, however, I thought it was delicious, as did my father, who ate almost the entire thing (I’m not bitter. Besides, I’d never pass up something with coffee as a main ingredient. Seriously. Try me.

Salted caramel petit four 
The petit fours, for me, were the highlight. Having never before indulged in these mini cakes, I was beyond excited to find them available at the Happy Tart. After much difficult consideration- they all looked gorgeous- we went with the strawberries and cream, and salted caramel. The strawberry was coated with pink icing, and was layered with cream, jam and cake. The caramel had a chocolate frosting on the outside, with layers of chocolate cake and caramel cream on the inside. While I'm usually a chocolate kind of girl, I have to admit the strawberry petit four was probably my favorite out of everything; the berry and vanilla combo was just too delicious. That said, both were a hit with myself and my parents. The layers of cake are so soft, and the cream somehow manages to stay light and fluffy. Who ever thought I'd be using the term "light and fluffy" to describe a gluten free baked good? 

In sum, if you ever find yourself in Northern Virginia, definitely make it a priority to stop by The Happy Tart. As always, let me know of any other gluten free finds in the DC area you'd like me try! And, until next time-

Peace, love and gluten free donuts,

Natalia




Comments

Popular Posts