Review: Hamrock's Restaurant, Fairfax, Virginia

Do you ever wake up the morning after dining out and realize, as you sit down to your daily bowl of cereal, that you're still dreaming about the previous night's aforementioned meal?

Maybe not. Maybe you're thinking to yourself, as you read this post, Natalia is that not a slight bit obsessive. Well, sure it is. But, it's also most definitely the experience with which Hamrock's Restaurant in Fairfax left me.

Hamrock's describes itself as offering "creative, American cuisine in historic downtown Fairfax." About a thirty minute drive from downtown Washington, DC, the restaurant is housed in the historic Moore-McCandlish home, complete with outdoor seating on a wrap-around porch.

We went to Hamrock's for dinner, however they do also serve brunch and lunch. Upon receiving the menu, I was amazed at just how much was marked gluten free. I'm talking fried chicken, crab cakes and garlic fries. Even as restaurants are expanding their menus to include more GF items, I still definitely cherish these moments of being presented with so many options. Our server was also really knowledgeable about the menu items, a big confidence boost when dining out as a celiac.

I ordered a Chianti Classico to start (I've said it before and I'll say it again, dry and red or none at all, thank you very much), and when they brought out the bread I requested some gluten free was well. I
Buffalo cauliflower
just couldn't let my dad and brother eat Yorkshire Puddings while sitting there carb-less. Our waiter brought me a few slices of toast; essentially your standard gluten-less bread, but I was happy nonetheless to see they had some.

Fried green tomatoes, and crispy shrimp (background)
The appetizers were amazing. We ordered fried green tomatoes with black bean sauce and goat cheese; crispy shrimp with duck and avocado; and buffalo cauliflower on a bed of quinoa. I found the fried green tomatoes to be especially delicious, with a cornmeal coating that was perfectly crunchy (flashback to triggering memories of failed gluten free fry-ups past). The black bean sauce also complimented tomatoes really nicely, especially when eaten with the cheese. We also ordered a warm beet salad with more goat cheese. Yes, this family really likes goat cheese, thank you Greek mother for that. However, we dove into the salad before a picture could be procured; I guess it was just that good. In my opinion, the buffalo cauliflower came in a close second to the tomatoes, as it had just enough of a kick. Besides, buffalo cauliflower has a special place in this celiac's heart (I'm looking at you, chicken wings, you little nuclear bombs of poison).

Fried chicken salad
Once we finished our appetizers, it was only a few minutes before the entrees were brought out. Staying true to the fried theme, as we all know calories don't actually exist on your birthday, I had to go with the fried chicken salad. And- excuse my French- but holy shit, did I make the right choice. Not having had fried chicken in years, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. But the chicken was tender, and the coating exactly what I'd imagine fried chicken should be. I was happy I got the fried chicken salad, as opposed to the fried chicken entree (also GF), as it left me with more room to try everything else! Were I to go back, however, I'd definitely go all-out with the entree. My mom also made a great choice with the gluten free crab cakes, which came with Old Bay remoulade, veg and potatoes au gratin.
Crab cake entree


I skipped dessert, as we had cake waiting back home. Hamrock's does have several gluten free desserts available, however, including creme brulee, carrot cake and chocolate cake. My brother and dad ordered a Lemoncello cake, a good choice for the non-GF people at the table. Our waiter apparently overheard it was my birthday, as he brought it out with a candle- which, despite my not being able to eat the cake, was a really nice gesture!

All in all, I really enjoyed Hamrock's, and it was the perfect choice for a birthday evening out. Just a heads up- if you do choose to sit inside, you may walk out smelling like maple syrup and bacon.

Comments

Popular Posts