Review: Fruitive and HipCityVeg in Washington, DC

Well hello there, fellow gluten-avoiders, and happy Saturday! I hope your weekends are starting on a high note, and that everyone is managing to avoid sweltering to death in this heat wave that has apparently taken over 90% of the world. But we're here to talk about delicious, gluten free food. Not the horrendous weather.

I had some extra time yesterday, and decided to take myself out to lunch. As should all dietary-restricted people, I keep an ever-growing list of local celiac-friendly joints to visit and try. And you know what they say- there's no time like the present to drop $15 on a sandwich. 

My first stop was Fruitive, in CityCenterDC. This collection of high-end shops (we're talking Gucci here, people) is complemented by equally as chichi restaurants- one of which is Fruitive. Located in Palmer Alley, Fruitive is an adorable cafe whose menu consists entirely of plant-based, organic food and drink. You can opt to sit inside at the counters, or out at the tables. Certain dishes are immediately gluten free, including the waffles-for which I will be returning- the salad bowls, and the liquid meals. Other items, such as the sandwiches, can be made gluten free on request.

After training all week for the marathon I'll never be bothered to actually run, I was feeling particularly hungry. So, I passed up my usual salad bowl for the Avo Portobello panini on GF (do I even need to specify that), and the Sesame Ginger collard taco. 

The sandwich had on it avocado slices, balsamic portobello mushrooms, caramelized onion, spinach, basil pesto mayo and cashew cheese. The bread was definitely gluten free (read: a little crumbly) but it was overall delicious. The avocado and mushroom were a perfect combination, especially as the avocado being warmed up made it all the creamier. I was also pleasantly surprised by the cashew cheese, which I'd never tried before. It worked really well with this overall combo, which again was well-played up with the sandwich being grilled.

The second item I ordered was a collard taco. What, you may ask, is a collard taco?

Well, friends, a collard taco is exactly like what it most obviously sounds. It is a taco whose shell is not your average corn tortilla (or the other alternative of which we won't speak), but large, overlaid collard greens. Yes, I too was skeptical at first- I was born in Los Angeles, hence I do not play when it comes to the enjoyment of Mexican-inspired cuisine. But, I have to say, I really enjoyed this pick. Inside the taco was hummus, rice noodles, veggies, mango, sesame dressing, tamari and microgreens. It was topped with carrot ginger dressing that tied everything together really well. Though one of the more unconventional tacos I've had in my long 22 years, it was definitely one of the freshest. And, I must admit, the collards were a fun twist on your traditional taco shell. A fair warning, though, to my fellow messy eaters- collard greens are in no way skilled at soaking up dressing. So, you're gonna need some napkins. And maybe a fork  please don't eat your taco with a fork, everyone already thinks us celiacs are weird enough.

Overall, my lunch at Fruitive was delicious. I walked away feeling light yet well-fed, in only the way plant-based food can make one feel. Though a bit pricey, I do plan on returning. I need that gluten free waffle.

That said, I definitely wasn't walking away from this afternoon without some dessert. I walked over to HipCityVeg, right across the street from the Gallery Place metro. This another entirely plant-based restaurant (are we seeing a theme here?) and several of their regular menu items can be made gluten free, including those without their vegan chick'n. However, I arrived to HipCityVeg wanting one thing, and one thing only- a banana whip.

Now, I'm a fan of nice cream. And when I say fan, I mean I would likely consume it every day for every meal for the rest of my life, if one could live purely off of bananas. But, one cannot, so I must begrudgingly consume non-frozen banana based foods as well. HipCityVeg has nice cream in the form of a banana whip- pure, frozen, whipped banana. You can top it with peanuts, dark chocolate chips or brownie. I went for the chocolate chips, because if you're going to consume fruit and call it dessert, you gotta go a little crazy. The banana whip was delicious- cold, creamy and especially enjoyable in this UNGODLY HEAT. You'll definitely be seeing some pics of this nice cream in the very-near future.

Let me know if you enjoyed, and if there are any other lunch places you'd like me to check out in or around DC! Until then,

Peace, love and gluten free donuts,

Natalia

Comments

Popular Posts